Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

DIY Taser for $5 (not OU but still cool)

Started by Poit, November 13, 2013, 11:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinselKoala

Quote from: Poit on November 14, 2013, 08:28:09 AM
Multiple reasons.. I want to experiment with it... try and get it to power a fluorescent light.. maybe link it with Laser Sabres Joul ringer?

And obviously as a weapon... a taser...

Apart from its current state, not sure which direction to go in really.. hence why I am asking for suggestions

Poit

It would make a great HV flyswatter!

You could even use that tennis-racket like thing from the first picture.....

;)

Poit

Quote from: TinselKoala on November 15, 2013, 01:59:16 AM
Power (Watts) is not voltage, voltage is not energy (Joules). With a bigger cap, you can put more of the _energy_ that is originally in the battery, into the capacitor. If the capacitor isn't leaky it will eventually charge up to the maximum voltage that the oscillator puts out, if the battery lasts long enough.
OK... so now you have all the energy that was in the battery, now in the cap. When you discharge the cap, it can all be released very quickly, much more quickly than the battery could do even by a direct short circuit. Since power is energy/time, you can see that you can attain very high _power_ if the time of the discharge of the energy is very short.
1 Watt = 1 Joule / second.
10 Watts = 1 Joule / 0.1 second.
100 Watts = 1 Joule / 0.01 second.
And so on.

Thanks TK,
Never really thought about it like that.. I think I have some 5.5Volt 1F caps in my box of components, might give that a whirl... ill post a video if i get around to doing it

Poit

(P.S, Since the batteries are 1.5 volt x 2 (i.e 3 volts total), by putting a 5.5 volt cap, that means the cap would never exceed 3volt yea? or does the circuit up the voltage to the cap?)

ramset

anomdeguerre 
My good friend Wilby
------------------------------------

sigh......

perhaps we will need a Taser!

Thx
Chet!

Whats for yah ne're go bye yah
Thanks Grandma

TinselKoala

Hmm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyswatter#Electric_flyswatter

It looks to me like there are a couple of designs in use. I can't tell which one you've got from the video.

There is one that is just an oscillator charging a final capacitor through a single diode. This one will charge the capacitor to near the full output voltage of the oscillator/transformer which, as you measured, is several kilovolts total (but it looks like the cap is on one winding of the transformer so it won't get that high in total). The other one uses a 3 or 4 or even 5 stage Cockcroft Walton voltage multiplier on the output for even more voltage. The final capacitor in the device, either circuit, must be able to take this full voltage, or at least the voltage of one stage of the CW multiplier. The ones I see are using 630 volt poly film caps.

Can you tell which circuit you've got?

Farmhand

You can get a quite powerful stun gun from new frog for 16 dollars, a real one. How much is the fly zapper ? Edit: My bad I see $5 dollars for the zapper and a fun project, can't lose there well done.

There are many different ones, I know the 928 model works because I've been hit with one.  ;) And have no desire for a repeat event. Here is a tip, never volunteer to be the shock victim. No fun in it at all. The capacitor boogie is not a fun dance.  :)

One feature I like about the 928 model is the HV conductors wrap around the end so if the attacker grabs for it to try to get behind the points the external side conductors get them. hehehehee

928 model
http://www.newfrog.com/p/928-self-defense-high-voltage-electric-shock-highlight-flashlight-stun-gun-26732.html

Variety of units.
http://www.newfrog.com/catalogsearch/result/stun-gun.html?cat=

Very powerful 1.5 inch sparks and quite rapid and very loud.

You could increase the power per pulse on your zapper, but that would lower the frequency of the discharges because the peak power to the cap would be the same about. To keep a person under control the repetition would need to be fairly rapid.

Cheers