Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Silly question about capacitors

Started by dieter, February 14, 2014, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forest

what about the change of two charged capacitor connection from parallel to series ? how law of conservation of charge apply to that situation ?

dieter

But Resistance in series adds up to more resistance and therefor more loss, isn't it?

I'm back at square one, heat dissipation is no explanation to me. If there was really more "pressure" in the 8 to 16 volts, then the 2 caps simply should be equalized at 16- ((sqr(16)/2)^2)=12 volts. Because the electricity does not jump across the room and run away, nor have I ever seen a cap getting excessively hot simply by charging and uncharging it within its supposed specs.

You may call me silly , hence silly questions, but the paradoxon is yet unexplained to me. I'd rather see there are many paradoxons in established sience that are always "talked to death" in the sense of "science knows everything". No offence tho. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

dieter

forest, actually the initial experiment is in series, even a loop in series. Of course, the cap must have polarity, like electrolytics do have, otherwise it would be parallel and serial in the same time. (in this little 2 caps experiment
Or did I misunderstand your question?

MarkE

Quote from: forest on February 16, 2014, 04:09:53 AM
what about the change of two charged capacitor connection from parallel to series ? how law of conservation of charge apply to that situation ?
Charging up one capacitor with capacitance C and then connecting it in series with another discharged capacitor with the same capacitance C has the same effect on energy loss as the situation in the OP.  And as Dieter pointed-out once the switch is closed the two parallel capacitors are in series in the loop.

MarkE

Quote from: dieter on February 16, 2014, 04:16:32 AM
But Resistance in series adds up to more resistance and therefor more loss, isn't it?

I'm back at square one, heat dissipation is no explanation to me. If there was really more "pressure" in the 8 to 16 volts, then the 2 caps simply should be equalized at 16- ((sqr(16)/2)^2)=12 volts. Because the electricity does not jump across the room and run away, nor have I ever seen a cap getting excessively hot simply by charging and uncharging it within its supposed specs.

You may call me silly , hence silly questions, but the paradoxon is yet unexplained to me. I'd rather see there are many paradoxons in established sience that are always "talked to death" in the sense of "science knows everything". No offence tho. Maybe I'm just not getting it.
What increasing the resistance does is increase the amount of time that it takes to transfer the charge.  It does not change the percentage of energy lost transferring the charge.
If you want to see capacitors get hot doing this we can set up an experiment that will heat them nicely by choice of capacitor and the test circuit.  Ceramic and film capacitors can handle very high ripple currents. Electrolytic and double layer capacitors are a different story.  Ripple current ratings and limiting internal heating of electrolytic capacitors is an important aspect of power converter design in converters that use electrolytics.