Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Test Equipment: Oscillocopes

Started by MarkE, February 14, 2015, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate88179

Thanks Mark.

Hey, if you repost your above response and requote my post, it is now sized to fit the page.  I have no idea why the link I posted ran off to the
right so far.  I split it up so now it fits the page.  If you re-do your quote of my post, it will now fit.

Sorry.

Bill
See the Joule thief Circuit Diagrams, etc. topic here:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

TinselKoala

@MarkE: Thank you for starting this topic. I hope to learn a lot from it, and may be able to contribute a thing or two myself.

@Pirate: If you're a fan of classic analog equipment...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interstate-Electronics-Corporation-F-34-Function-Generator-115v-230v-/271740054768

;)

Brian516

Quote from: TinselKoala on February 14, 2015, 08:13:19 PM

@Pirate: If you're a fan of classic analog equipment...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interstate-Electronics-Corporation-F-34-Function-Generator-115v-230v-/271740054768

;)

OOOOhhhhH...... I just might have to snatch that one out from under ya!!!      haha   just playin, just playin... it's all yours...
unless I get it first!! AHHHH   
kidding.  I do need a FG though. not yet though, already have enough to learn and a PC/amp will be OK for the time being, esp since I can shut off my DC offset and disable all enhancements.

I'm going to bring my reply regarding the scope and arduino over to this thread.
@Brian, yes, I think it would be a good value especially if you don't want or need the stuff you are trading for it. You are right that it may just need cleaning of the switch contacts. If it needs repair that too can be managed; as you found out there are replacement boards available for the vertical amplifiers and even if you had to replace the entire VA board rather than just a component you will still be way ahead. I haven't looked at a 465 Service Manual but the Tek manuals generally are very complete and will have troubleshooting and calibration guides along with complete schematics so tracking down the problem may be fairly straightforward.
I've seen a few scopes that were advertised as "not working" and it turned out that the sellers just didn't know how to get a trace to show up! Probably not that simple in your case though but one could always hope.

Arduinos are a _lot_ of fun and I'm always amazed at what can be done with them. And the programming language is essentially c++, which is great!

Wish me luck tomorrow with this O-scope!  Let's hope the repairs will just be a nice, thorough cleaning which I will be giving it regardless! If not, I'll go thru and test all the caps, resistors, transistors etc etc if I must, and worst case I'll just buy a new VA board.  I'm quite anxious, though.... I've never even touched a scope, so I've been watching vids non-stop about how to use it so I don't screw anything up before I even bring it home!   I'm going to have him start it up and do the first test run off my PC FG, just in case he's some nut con man trying to pull a fast one and toss off a broken piece of equipment on me!  Gotta be uber careful with craigslist people.. you just never know... 
As for the PC FG, I just wanna mention for the benefit of all, Visual Analyzer is pretty good software. if you haven't heard of it, you should def check it out!

I found the factory service manual for it and scanned thru it, it definitely seems quite thorough. It's got schematics, troubleshooting, and quite a bit more, so definitely good to have!   I wish I could run across some of those people that have stuff I need and haven't a clue and don't care to!  Maybe I'll luck out this spring at some yard sales....  $5 FG WHAAAAATT?? (that would be awesome!)

I have some books on C++ somewhere. Never did get around to learning it, though. I guess I have some motivation now.  What add-on board do you think I should get first, besides an LCD or a touch screen?

MarkE

Quote from: Brian516 on February 14, 2015, 10:38:22 PM
OOOOhhhhH...... I just might have to snatch that one out from under ya!!!      haha   just playin, just playin... it's all yours...
unless I get it first!! AHHHH   
kidding.  I do need a FG though. not yet though, already have enough to learn and a PC/amp will be OK for the time being, esp since I can shut off my DC offset and disable all enhancements.

I'm going to bring my reply regarding the scope and arduino over to this thread.
Wish me luck tomorrow with this O-scope!  Let's hope the repairs will just be a nice, thorough cleaning which I will be giving it regardless! If not, I'll go thru and test all the caps, resistors, transistors etc etc if I must, and worst case I'll just buy a new VA board.  I'm quite anxious, though.... I've never even touched a scope, so I've been watching vids non-stop about how to use it so I don't screw anything up before I even bring it home!   I'm going to have him start it up and do the first test run off my PC FG, just in case he's some nut con man trying to pull a fast one and toss off a broken piece of equipment on me!  Gotta be uber careful with craigslist people.. you just never know... 
As for the PC FG, I just wanna mention for the benefit of all, Visual Analyzer is pretty good software. if you haven't heard of it, you should def check it out

I found the factory service manual for it and scanned thru it, it definitely seems quite thorough. It's got schematics, troubleshooting, and quite a bit more, so definitely good to have!   I wish I could run across some of those people that have stuff I need and haven't a clue and don't care to!  Maybe I'll luck out this spring at some yard sales....  $5 FG WHAAAAATT?? (that would be awesome!)

I have some books on C++ somewhere. Never did get around to learning it, though. I guess I have some motivation now.  What add-on board do you think I should get first, besides an LCD or a touch screen?
eBay has some function generators for $60 - $80 that do two channels  to 2MHz or 5MHz and 20Vpp open circuit w/ 50 Ohms impedance.  That would cover a lot of needs.

Brian516

once I unload this mountain of stuff I have to sell on ebay, I'll grab up some more equipment. all my funds lately have been going towards getting caught up. sucks, but worth it.