Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Need C++ programmer who has time to modify source code

Started by Earl, May 11, 2008, 05:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Quote from: Ailos on May 11, 2008, 10:13:42 PM
Alright, I figure the packet-sending procedure uses the randomized key to encrypt it real time.

Anyhow, I'm going to update the gui as much I can to make it look more aesthetic. This MFC is really throwing me for a spin though. I've never really used it, however I'm fairly apt at learning languages quickly.

Any other features you may want added?

@Ailos

wow, am I pleasantly surprised about your self-initiative and the speed at which you attacked this.

The program author is involved with cryptography as a business, but he developed this before broadband existed.  He was extremely conservative and used 16k bits of Diffie-Helman public key to exchange the symmetric key.  A symmetric key of 128 to 256 bits needs a 16k bit PK so that both have roughly the same security level.  I would suspect that not only is the text chat encrypted, but also the voice.

I have heard so many good things about the SPEEX open source codec, you might eventually consider using SPEEX compression for the audio instead of using WIN internal codec.  8kbs or 16kbs codec speed could be set in preferences.
http://speex.org/
It is robust against packet loss and believe it also has echo suppression built in.

If the program has originally only half-duplex audio, it would be nice to upgrade it to full-duplex audio with SPEEX and eliminate any push to talk buttons.

Best regards, Earl
"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - H. Poincare

"Most of all, start every day asking yourself what you will do today to make the world a better place to live in."  Mark Snoswell

"As we look ahead, we have an expression in Shell, which we like to use, and that is just as the Stone Age did not end for the lack of rocks, the oil and gas age will not end for the lack oil and gas, but rather technology will move us forward." John Hofmeister, president Shell Oil Company

Earl

@Ailos

it appears to me that the pgm author used WIN internal recorder to store the voice, then play it back into the program for transmission after being encrypted.

I think it would be much better to do voice in real time and in full-duplex by using a modern codec like SPEEX.  Perhaps a preliminary version release with voice like a walkie talkie, followed by a version with full duplex voice.

Best regards, Earl
"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - H. Poincare

"Most of all, start every day asking yourself what you will do today to make the world a better place to live in."  Mark Snoswell

"As we look ahead, we have an expression in Shell, which we like to use, and that is just as the Stone Age did not end for the lack of rocks, the oil and gas age will not end for the lack oil and gas, but rather technology will move us forward." John Hofmeister, president Shell Oil Company

Earl

Quote from: Dyamios on May 11, 2008, 04:52:05 PM
I've been doing a little tinkering with this. I've already disabled the pesky mail-client opening process, and am now working on the audio component.

great going - glad to hear.   pesky is a good word.  This pgm was written some years ago, and although it is a cute little program, it needs some steroids to bring it up to date.

Quote from: Dyamios on May 11, 2008, 04:52:05 PM
I tested it with myself (my own IP) and it seems to work great. Apologies for the ignorance, but what's the significance of a host-name? As long as you're listening on an open port, shouldn't the external IP of the clients be fine?

The significance of being able to use a host name is that it is easy to register a host name at various dynamic DNS services.  Most people have a dynamically-assigned public IP nr that changes every day.  By being able to use a host name such as me@dynDNS.org you will always remain callable by your research colleagues.  Most modern routers have dynDNS built-in and by any change of public IP, automatically notify the appropriate dynDNS provider service.

It would be nice to have either the internal capability - or a [comma-separated ??] text or xml?? file in the default directory - to store a 2-column list of friends where the first column is their name and the second column is their dynDNS host name.  A drop-down menu field window where a name from this list can be clicked on in order to call that friend.

Some few people have a fixed IP and that could be entered in the second column, in this case.  The program should be able to handle both IP nr.s and host names without crashing.

Best regards, Earl

Ailos

Alrighty. Yeah, the recording itself is somewhat strange in that it only plays back on the other computer once the sender has finished talking, so there is a bit of a delayed response.

If this MFC gets too annoying for me I'll have to port it to contemporary Win32 libraries, but I think I can handle it for now.

Alright, so next thing to do after sprucing up the gui is to add SPEEX on full duplex, add a catalog system (I can encrypt this if you wish so you'd need a password to open it, thus preventing any possible exposure of individual's information) for storing names, domain/host addresses, and IPs, and then any other small fixes that need doing.

Exams today though, so I won't be able to work on it 'till this afternoon.

Ailos

Alright, I've been doing some reading, and it looks like SPEEX doesn't really have a good development base, if any (no win32 libraries etc). I'm gonna try Vorbis instead. I figure any amount of compression is far better than PCM.

Let you know how its working later on. My last final is tomorrow, so I'll be free a little following that (but my parents are pushing me to get a job, so that may tie up some more time in a few weeks, hopefully I'll be finished by then, though).