Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Introducing The Dudgeon Engine

Started by Pirate88179, November 03, 2009, 01:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW383

Jim,

I remain intrigued by the flexibility here. Very cool.

I look at this and see that it should transfer mechanical power efficiently and that it would do so in a less mechanically stressed manner. I would think this to be useful in any mode of operation.

I like the ability to tune in combustion timing aspects. I would assume this to be a multi-fuel capable engine, just modify the curve accordingly.

Keep drawing the pictures Jim.

, MW383

electricme

The PISTON ASSEMBLY see image 1700
The SWIVAL BAR         see image  1701
The END GUIDE PLATE  see image 1702 and 1703

-------------------------

The PISTON ASSEMBLY

The piston can be any piston the designer engineer wants to use, whatever material it is made of, dimensions is entirely up to the purpose it is used for, I have no other comment to make about choices.

BUT in this engine of mine, there is a GREAT difference from all other engines.

The current way of affixing a piston to the engine is to use a CONROD.
The CONROD is NO MORE, I have pitched this away as it is now no longer cannot be filtered to my engine, there is NO BIG END.

The old problem of "throwing a rod through the side of the block is OVER"

There is NO little end bearing or Gudgeon Pin or Wrist pin, instead I have replaced this component with a FIXED SQUARE SOLID SHAFT.

Please look at image 1700

One end of the solid shaft is affixed inside the piston rock solid, so it has no lateral or side movement.
The other end has a large Heavy Duty solid shaft attached through a hole in the square solid shaft.

Over this Heavy Duty shaft is placed the Thick SWIVEL PLATE, which is designed to rock on the Heavy Duty shaft during operation.

Please see image 1701

This whole piston, Square steel sliding shaft, Shaft Bearing and Swivel plate is as one unit assembly, is held in place inside the engine by a CHANNELED GUIDE which is machined into the END GUIDE PLATE.

Please see images 1702 and image 1703

The End Guide Plate is the same diameter as the Flywheel which contains the machined guide.

The machined Channeled Guide allows the main square shaft to slide UP or DOWN inside it.

Its main purpose is to hold the Square Shaft securely, so preventing it from rotating or making any sideways movement.
It also presents the main Guide swivel Plate Pin in its correct working position which is 90 degrees to the face of the rotating Flywheel.

Sufficient clearances will need to be set to prevent any form of seizure or lock up.

As the flywheel which contains the machined guide rotates, the Swivel rocker plate is matched inside the guide, this now makes the piston rise or lowers relating to the position of the machined guide.

If the guide is in the lowest position, the piston assembly will be at its lowest, if the guide is in it's highest position, the piston assembly will reflect that position.

The piston reflects its position that the mechanical designing engineer designs into the machine guide.

The main flywheel and End Guide Plate are assembled in a slightly larger stubby round drum type container, I have coined the term the DRUM HOUSING.

The end plate guide plate is made slightly larger than the rotating flywheel, then bolt hole positions are machined and matched up with the Drum Housing.
Through bolts are passed through the End Guide Plate holes to mate up with corresponding threads in the drum housing.

We cannot call it a crank case any longer, as the crank and cam shafts simply don't exist.

The whole engine is kept in alignment by the drum housing, the axle is presented into the housing bearing assembly along with the machined flywheel, the piston assembly is presented into the End Plate Guide and the End Plate Guide is attached to the Drum Housing, the through bolts are presented to there respective positions and tightened, so the whole DUDGEON ENGINE is ready, except for the CYLINDER which the engine designer has chosen.

Cooling, this depends a lot with the choice of cylinder housing is used, air cooled or fluid cooled is the choices, I have concentrated only on the bottom half.

jim

People who succeed with the impossible are mocked by those who say it cannot be done.

electricme

Mandrasek,

I have never heard of the Crankless or Cam drive engine you mentioned, never been aware of it, nor have I had opportunity to see the magazine you refer to.

I am an Invalid Pensioner, I do not have the resources to buy the associated reading materials, or to provide for a fully equipped machine shop, (wow wouldn't that be something). I hope you understand my limitations.

My main hobby is not as an engineer inventor of engines but I enjoy the Joul Thief and Stubblefield forums stuff.

In fact this engine just came to me out of the blue, several years ago before I even had access to the internet.
I just threw a few ideas I had together floating in my mind ages ago, and eventually arrived to what I presented in the last 24 hours on overunity.

No person has spoken to me about the above engine types you mention, and I have not know of this web site, nor been there.
No doubt some person some time will say they have known of my engine, well they didn't get it from me :), and I am not in the habit of stepping on anyones toes.

I have spoken to only three people about this engine, one a qualified machinist (about10 years ago) who said to me he had never ever heard of anything like it, the other was a local farmer (about 5years ago), he also has never heard of it and didn't understand it, and a fellow who has a win solar generator setup out my way, (last year) who couldn't understand it either.

I suppose it could be seen like this, every engine has a rotating shaft, weather it is electric powered, fossil fuel powered or solar powered. But irrespective of the energy it takes to turn the shaft, it still revolves, the only difference is the method to create the motion.

But thank you for letting me know.

jim
People who succeed with the impossible are mocked by those who say it cannot be done.

tishatang

Jim
I understand everything except maybe the swivel bar.  But that's not important right now.  I see all the advantages you state.  There will be a trade off by how long you can slow the piston for complete burn.  To slow it will require a more shallow ramp.  The shallow ramp will increase side loading on the square shaft when the piston fires, resulting is less torque to rotation.  The overall length of the rod/piston will determine its weight.  It looks heavy?  Overall, I think the engine will be a low-rev hi torque design, which is good in my opinion.  Longer life span and less noise.  To be in balance, it needs to be min of two cylinders in a flat twin opposed engine.  Two pistons working in unison opposing each other.
Looking good.
Chris

tishatang

Jim
The engine that mondrasek referenced is nothing like your design.  It is a double piston design as well the Hermann Cam engine I PM'd you about.  That was probably the engine he saw on the cover of the mag as that engine had passed FAA approval as an aircraft engine.  Double ended piston engines are a balancing nightmare.  The 12 cyl Hermann engine shook the concrete floor like mad as it ran on the test bed.  I saw it in operation.  This was near Lockheed aircraft in Burbank, Calif.  These engines can also be machining nightmares also.  Although now with computer controlled machines may no longer be a problem.  You engine is the most simple to make I have seen.  The most difficult part is machining the grove profile.  But nowadays that can be dialed in with the computer control.  Should be rugged and easy to repair. 

Why the swivel bar?  Why not a roller bearing in the grove?  The roller will move around and wear evenly.  Allow for clearance so that it does not drag on both side of the grove at the same time.  Am I still missing something here?
Chris