Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

2013 Pulsed Motor Build Off Competition Announced

Started by markdansie, August 25, 2013, 02:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinselKoala

@Tinman: The Warlock's Wheel is what Jeffery Kooistra called his Marinov Siberian Coilu experiment. He was working for Gene Mallove at the time and wrote about the experiment in Infinite Energy Magazine.

Jeffery writing in Analog: 
http://www.analogsf.com/0806/altview.shtml

Ken Rauen's analysis, which I think is incomplete:
http://www.infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue39/deviceupdate.html

I built one in 2000, a good testbed that had vertical mercury brushes that could contact the "stator" ring from either the inner edge or the outer edge, had a self-contained power supply (2 9v batteries) and a light-actuated switch to turn the current on without perturbing anything. The ring, the armature magnets and the powersupply/brush structure were all triaxially mounted on 3 nested axles and everything could move independently. The behaviour reported by Marinov and later by Kooistra was soundly confirmed by this apparatus.  When energised with the brushes positioned on the inner edge of the "stator" ring, the ring and the inner magnet armature both rotated... in the _same direction_. Since my brushes approached the ring from below and the lead wires were parallel to the device axis, the explanation that Rauen gives for Jeffery's results does not apply to mine, although it did appear that my ps/brush support was pushed in the opposite direction.

Let this sink in a bit. The more one thinks about it the more incredible it seems. Does the device really violate Newton? Does it work by flux leakage from the central magnets, or is this flux confined and unable to interact directly with the current in the ring?

Anyway, by interrupting the current at the right time, this thing can be turned into a pulse motor, and the magnet armature and the "stator" ring will both rotate in the same direction. An optical chopping wheel and led-photodiode pair will do the trick.

My original apparatus was damaged after I demonstrated it to a room full of physicists, when some mercury splashed out and shorted the logic chip on the power supply board. We moved the lab before I could repair it, and now it is lost. I made a version without the stator ring, substituting a cleverly wound coil to simulate the current paths in the ring. I call it the Marinov Slab motor; it runs on a 9v battery and also _appears_ to violate Newton because it is unclear what is being pushed against to turn the rotor, and it also appears to have no armature back-reaction.

tinman

@TK
Is there any clear diagrams of this device?

TinselKoala

Quote from: tinman on August 30, 2013, 06:48:25 AM
@TK
Is there any clear diagrams of this device?

I'll try to sketch what I built but I'm a lousy artist.

The Phipps paper has some good illustrations that should make the basic layout clear. What is amazing about the Phipps paper, with all its careful analysis, is that he seems to have missed entirely the difference between putting the brushes on the inner edge vs. the outer edge of the ring.

http://redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/Pre2001/V05NO3PDF/v05n3phi.pdf

Let me say it again: With the brushes on the outer edge of the ring, you give it power and the ring goes one way and the magnet armature goes the other way. No problems with Newton and Lorentz.... and this is what Phipps analyzes. But..... if you put the brushes to contact the inner edge of the ring only.... the ring and the armature move in the same direction. This is so unbelievable (and kind of difficult to implement) that Phipps apparently didn't even try it.

So the setup is like this: You have a hefty copper ring. Most people who have looked at this use copper vacuum flange gaskets, these are ideal in the 5 or 6 inch size. This is your "stator" but it must be mounted so that it can rotate freely on its central axis. You also have a magnet rotor "armature" that is mounted in the center, co-axially, and also can rotate freely. Marinov said to saw a bar magnet in half lengthwise, flip one half over and glue them together, so that you have a "flux loop" so to speak , but I just used a couple of bar magnets, stuck together so that one end of the stack has N-and-S polarities and the other end the S-and-N polarities. So you have a ring, encircling the rotor and everything is able to spin around on the same axis.
Then you arrange your brushes to contact the ring at 180 degrees apart. The brushes should be adjustable so that they can either be set to contact the ring on the outside edge or the inside edge. They can't drag the ring, torque is low, so mercury or GalInStan is used. Current is high though so the brushes need some thought.  For a first build I would make the brushes and power supply stationary, not able to rotate.
So, to start, you set up with the ring with brushes at 180 degrees apart. The magnet armature is positioned so that the bar magnets are closest to the brush points. Looking down from above you could draw a straight line through the brushes and the S and N poles of the armature magnets.
Now you give it the current.
The Armature will "snap" around to the 90 degree position so that the poles are now at the midpoints of the ring, between the brushes, and will want to "lock" in this position for as long as current is applied. But while the armature is moving to that "lock" position, the ring itself will also move, either in the same direction (brushes inside edge) or in the opposite direction (brushes outside edge). Once the armature "locks" into the position at 90 degrees to the brushes, then the rotor just coasts, it is no longer being "pushed" in either direction, and the armature wants to stay put. So just before it gets to the "lock" position... you turn the current off. This enables the armature to "coast" past the lock position until it is again lined up with the brushes, and you can apply another pulse of current (in the opposite polarity? I can't recall). This will drive the armature on around to the next "lock" position and the ring will keep coasting along. Lather rinse repeat.... and you have a pulse motor that will blow people's minds altogether, guaranteed.
Requires low voltage and high current, I was using two nine-volt transistor batteries in parallel, with a mosfet switch triggered by a light sensor, but that was for the rotating power supply. For a fixed PS, try to get 10 amps into the ring per pulse at least.

For a "proof of concept" single pulse demonstrator you can do what Jeffery did: Just glue a copper ring to the top rim of a styrofoam cup (if you use clear plastic cup you can see the armature better) , suspend it upside down with a thread, over a pair of magnets sitting on the table. Usually you don't even have to mount these magnets, just stick them together edgewise and set them down on the ends so that you have your N-S pole pair up and the S-N pole pair down.  Make two little pools of mercury in depressions in the table that the ring can contact, lower the cup/ring down over the magnets until the ring contacts your brush pools, and then use wires or foil slid under the ring edge  to make the power connection to the mercury pools. A pair of strong bar magnets, cylinders with flat ends, 1 or 2 inches long by 1/2 inch diameter, would be ideal for this proof of concept test.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, until you try to explain why it works the way it does. Marinov thought it worked by interaction with the scalar A field, since in his original conception there should have been essentially no flux leakage from the split , flipped and reassembled central magnet. But it works a lot better if you allow flux leakage, so I don't buy into Marinov's explanation, and neither did he at the end of his life.

Ideal ring:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Vacuum-Copper-Gaskets-4-1-2-CF-Flange-3-1-4-/300628576466?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D300528636168%26ps%3D54

As you can probably tell, turning the single pulse demonstrator into a pulse motor with continual rotation will be a bit of a challenge and will demand a lot of creativity.

Here is my Marinov Slab. If you can imagine the coil (it is a single coil even though it looks like two) being replaced by the ring, and free to rotate around the same axle as the rotor, that's the idea.
(Bottom view, showing Hall sensor position on its adjustment "timing" disc; the magnets are the two light spots at 2 and 8 oclock in the black Delrin rotor disk. The "virtual brush" positions are at 12 and 6 oclock, where the two half-coils almost meet.)

TinselKoala

To tell the truth, in all of the fifteen years or so that I have been involved in this quest, both professionally and as an amateur hobbyist, seeing that thing rotate both parts in the same direction has been the most amazing, non-intuitive, hair-raising thing I have seen yet. You see it, and you go.... waaait a minute, WTF is going on here, what did I just see? It looks like a violation of Newton (since you can't see what is being pushed against to turn stuff) and Lorentz force laws too.
(I mean the full Warlock's Wheel of course; my Slab is just a simulation without the degrees of freedom of motion needed to demonstrate the full effect.)

Even if it turns out to be a perfectly explainable phenomenon in terms of "ordinary" physics, it is still utterly amazing and I know that there are applications waiting for it out in the real world, probably in spacecraft or other low-gravity situations. But how to make them? I don't know.

tinman

@TK
So we need to arange the magnets to produce the field pictured below?