Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

SG screen problem>??

Started by tinman, May 05, 2014, 06:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinman

Ok,as some of you will know,i bought a new Atten SG(along with a scope and power supply) less than a year ago.Last time i used it(a couple of months ago),all was fine.Tonight i went to do some testing with pulsing an LED at high frequencies,and the pic bellow shows what i see on my screen now. So last time used-was all fine--two months later-it's RS.It is housed in a clean dry enviroment(the lab),along with all my other stuff.
So what has gone wrong here?.
Any help would be much appreciated.

MarkE

Quote from: tinman on May 05, 2014, 06:47:56 AM
Ok,as some of you will know,i bought a new Atten SG(along with a scope and power supply) less than a year ago.Last time i used it(a couple of months ago),all was fine.Tonight i went to do some testing with pulsing an LED at high frequencies,and the pic bellow shows what i see on my screen now. So last time used-was all fine--two months later-it's RS.It is housed in a clean dry enviroment(the lab),along with all my other stuff.
So what has gone wrong here?.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I would suspect:  1) The flat cable connection for the LCD on the main board has gotten loose, or 2) The LCD display has gone bye bye, or 3) The LCD controller probably located on the main board has gone bye bye, or 4) The unit is suffering from the plague of bad electrolytic capacitors.

tinman

Quote from: MarkE on May 05, 2014, 06:59:43 AM
I would suspect:  1) The flat cable connection for the LCD on the main board has gotten loose, or 2) The LCD display has gone bye bye, or 3) The LCD controller probably located on the main board has gone bye bye, or 4) The unit is suffering from the plague of bad electrolytic capacitors.
I dont know MarkE. It is only 6-7 months old,and wouldnt have done 10 hours. All was good last time i used it,and now after sitting for a couple of months,she's no good.

mscoffman

Sometimes an instrument manufacture does not get to the latest LCD display technology. The square format of this display says that this might be the case here.
I think this indicates that either some grounding problem is occuring or some virtual grounding problem is occuring where the LCD display generates it's contrast
signal.  If there is any way to get the instrument apart to get access some of the LCD points I believe this would be solvable. I don't have much experience with
this because portable computer LCD displays usually are not accessible much at all nowdays. Sometimes on the web, someone will go through and actually
teardown various instruments to the component level this may be true of Aten series. One thing you should look for is water damage. Instruments need
to be kept in a non-condensing humidity environment though I realize that this is not always possible. By probing cleaning and checking especially flat no header
cable connections I think this is solvable. If the problem changes when mechanically manipulated, it is probably not inside an IC. Even if it is inside an IC
sometimes by careful adding an external bias resistor you can get things functioning again. I hate it when this happens, when it happens multiple times
I tend to stay away from that brand as they may be committed to using too cheap LCD's displays or not thoroughly removing solder flux.

:S:MarkSCoffman

Vortex1

If you were exploding any HHO gas or discharged a large HV capacitor into a low inductance coil in the area it is possible the EMP took out a sensitive mosfet chip. Even playing with a Tesla Coil near equipment can build up destructive charge that can take out a mosfet part.

I have seen equipment failure from EMP on my bench. I don't do that kind of stuff near my good equipment anymore, having lost an unconnected Fluke DMM and a HP scope.

A screened room or box is a good idea if you intend to play with the HHO stuff or other impulse discharges near sensitive equipment.

Of course, the other suggestions are also very valid.