Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Mutual respect, prejudice, safety, and personal responsibility

Started by MileHigh, February 13, 2015, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboot

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 20, 2015, 11:46:39 AM
Who is feeling what?  You run into a problem when you say things like: "It's the tone of your sentence".  See if "tone" is how you feel.  Then "your" is the wrong word.  My sentence doesn't have a feeling about you.  It's YOU who have a feeling about my sentence.  Now you may be confused as people in real life say something like:"Your response had an accusing tone".  They usually mean an audible quality - we may disagree as to what that quality implies but it's still referencing a different thing than what you are talking about.  Another pitfall for people who aren't wary is the fact that the term"tone" is used in literature but not like you think or how you've used it.  Literary tone is about how words are deliberately used to evoke a feeling the characters in the work have about something.  This is why my statements did not have a tone.  Also if you're not talking about characters the more correct term is "mood". Your example of removing a comma is none of these things it's  better described as a syntax issue. 

Getting back to what you were originally talking about - that "playing dumb" is namecalling - is again more a question of interpretation.  Like when someone uses the word "gyp" to mean "to cheat or swindle" and someone hearing that is offended because to them it is or has it's origins as a racial epithet.  So again, a better term to describe this kind of thing is "connote".  e.g. Gyp has racial connotations and is best avoided.

Don't worry people can write for decades and have the same misapprehensions that you do with regard to the technical aspects.  If you want I can recommend a few good books.  I didn't say you were.  I just said you published a consultation on social media and that tends to carry with it the idea of unskilled know-nothings.  :) ...and since you said that deliberately I was wondering what you were trying to imply. :)

the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc.
"trust her to lower the tone of the conversation"
[color=rgb(135, 135, 135) !important]
synonyms:mood[/font], quality[/font], feel[/font], style[/font], note[/font], air[/font], attitude[/font], character[/font], spirit[/font], flavour[/font], grain[/font], temper[/font], humour[/font], effect[/font]; More

i published a consultation on social media? Nope. You're just making things up now and taking things out of context. you also seem to have issues with skilled professionals and keep referring to a massive industry as know nothing's. Like your mate you're anonymous so I guess you don't care but I be wasted too much time on you already. For all I know you could be a bot. They are being used quite a bit these days for writing.

Anyway I can't take anyone seriously, like your mate who is anonymous in a conversation like this. i tend to think of them as cowards.
[/color]

sarkeizen

raising/lowering tone of the conversation is better classified as idiom.  There's a simple linguistic test for that.  Surprised that a writer doesn't know it. :)
Quote from: Jimboot on February 20, 2015, 03:39:29 PM
i published a consultation on social media? Nope.
You did call something "social media 101".  That seems to imply some expertise doesn't it? Isn't that consulting?  Seems like it. You posted it here.  That's publishing in your book. So the right answer is "yep". :)
QuoteYou also seem to have issues with skilled professionals and keep referring to a massive industry as know nothing's.
You're cute when you're defensive. Also your statement seems to imply that a massive industry is somehow a counter to the idea that it might be entirely peopled with know-nothings.  Is that what you're saying.  Sure seems like it. :)

Anyway if you, the writer were paying attention at some point.  You would see I talk about two things in reference to know-nothings that the idea of social media consulting carries with it (or connotes) that (in my second use) and prior to that I referred to the idea as a common trope. Neither of these things assert the position that you made up.  Seriously for someone who seems to be preaching about words mattering you really don't pay much attention to other peoples.
Quotebut I be wasted
That may be your problem right there. :)
QuoteFor all I know you could be a bot.
I think the key phrase there is "for all I know".
QuoteThey are being used quite a bit these days for writing.
They are, however writing is not the same thing as conversation.  If you get around to reading what I write it's pretty clear I'm responding to what you say with considerable detail and attention.  Something there is no bot for - at least right now.
QuoteAnyway I can't take anyone seriously, like your mate who is anonymous in a conversation like this.
...and I'm sure you're much more formidable when you're taking things seriously...or one would hope. :)
Quotei tend to think of them as cowards
This is a good example of rhetoric instead of reason.  Why would someone care if an argument comes from a coward?  Ideas stand or fall on their own.

MileHigh

QuoteAnyway I can't take anyone seriously, like your mate who is anonymous in a conversation like this. i tend to think of them as cowards.

So after all of the text cranked out beforehand about being offended by the use of the term "disingenuous" now you call nearly everybody on this forum a coward and you show no respect for their desire for personal privacy and safety.  The reason you are public is because you use the medium of the Internet to make your living.  The vast majority of us don't and we have no desire to have kooks looking us up online and in real life.  Go on a web site for sewing and knitting enthusiasts and you will see handles being used in their forums.

The concept of a "handle" has been around since the CB radio days in the 1960s and for all I know it goes back even further than that to shortwave radio operators.

Jimboot

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 20, 2015, 04:14:02 PM
raising/lowering tone of the conversation is better classified as idiom.  There's a simple linguistic test for that.  Surprised that a writer doesn't know it. :)You did call something "social media 101".  That seems to imply some expertise doesn't it? Isn't that consulting?  Seems like it. You posted it here.  That's publishing in your book. So the right answer is "yep". :)You're cute when you're defensive. Also your statement seems to imply that a massive industry is somehow a counter to the idea that it might be entirely peopled with know-nothings.  Is that what you're saying.  Sure seems like it. :)

Anyway if you, the writer were paying attention at some point.  You would see I talk about two things in reference to know-nothings that the idea of social media consulting carries with it (or connotes) that (in my second use) and prior to that I referred to the idea as a common trope. Neither of these things assert the position that you made up.  Seriously for someone who seems to be preaching about words mattering you really don't pay much attention to other peoples.That may be your problem right there. :)I think the key phrase there is "for all I know". They are, however writing is not the same thing as conversation.  If you get around to reading what I write it's pretty clear I'm responding to what you say with considerable detail and attention.  Something there is no bot for - at least right now....and I'm sure you're much more formidable when you're taking things seriously...or one would hope. :)This is a good example of rhetoric instead of reason.  Why would someone care if an argument comes from a coward?  Ideas stand or fall on their own.

You're using pythoneque logic.

Jimboot

Quote from: MileHigh on February 20, 2015, 05:12:45 PM
So after all of the text cranked out beforehand about being offended by the use of the term "disingenuous" now you call nearly everybody on this forum a coward and you show no respect for their desire for personal privacy and safety.  The reason you are public is because you use the medium of the Internet to make your living.  The vast majority of us don't and we have no desire to have kooks looking us up online and in real life.  Go on a web site for sewing and knitting enthusiasts and you will see handles being used in their forums.

The concept of a "handle" has been around since the CB radio days in the 1960s and for all I know it goes back even further than that to shortwave radio operators.

Do you not read the post fully before you hit the quote button?
EDIT: btw I was not offended by any of your posts. To the contrary I found them amusing