Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Simple and slow - Seans gravity wheel

Started by SeanTheLight, March 07, 2008, 12:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanTheLight

In testing (remember, I'm using a $20 video game for physics simulation), the 2 arm setup, could not cause equilibrium of the weight at TDC, so the tension in cloth could not release its spring energy (still being opposed by gravity). Pulses aren't enough, they need to be phased correctly also (seems forces that act at 90 degrees to each other are all the sexiness right now).

I will go play with the 2 arm setup and see if there is a "fix" to the problem. Which reminds me, this wheel is not a finished design, its the first working design I created, 48 hours after seeing the offyrreus toy on youtube. There is much room for improvement, I just wanted to prove the basic concept first. I still don't feel I have done that....       

SeanTheLight

I've switched over to working model 2D, but am using the evaluation version (a license costs $3,000?!?!) so I cannot save the projects I build. Frustrating....

I need help with a specific problem in simulating my wheel design. Can you make the rope objects collide with objects, instead of moving through/around them?

Also, if you create a standing rectangle against a solid base, and attach a pin joint at its center, then attach a rope to each top corner of that rectangle, extending down and away at a 30 degree angle, connected to the solid base, then change the elasticity of one of these ropes to 1.0.....working model will not simulate the elasticity of the rope. It seems when I have gotten close to simulating the same effect with a more simple design (compared to my armadillo run design), working model experiences an error and refuses to calculate the elasticity of the rope. Frustrating...

I have managed to simulate near the same effect....2 full revolutions of the wheel using spring on one side and rope on the other. Unfortunately this design is always doomed to fail since springs pull in both directions with equal force. Try it for yourself though.

medium sized wheel, rectangle at 4 evenly spaced points (top, bottom, left, right), pin joint holding wheel to world and weights to wheel. add ropes and springs to each weight and connect them back to the wheel at roughly 30 degrees. adjust the mass of the weights and force of the spring (11-13k for me) to optimize the effect.

note: this version will always stop! This is not what I am trying to work on. It does show a similar effect in working model though.

In armadillo run, the cloth acts as a 1 way spring. I believe the fact that the cloth is being held tight at the fulcrum of the weight (but that is not the connection point for the cloth itself) has something to do with why there is enough leverage to flip the weight back over when equilibrium is reached near TDC. That is why I would like my rope to collide with the objects in working model. Does anyone know how to do this?

Joh70

Hi sean, it looks like this thing on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohap0KAo7kE

As i can remember it's also called the Arabic Perpetuum Mobile. I tried this by my own 2006. It didn't run. Not even as good as in the video above (if this isn't a fake).

I came to the conclusion, it could work, when manufactured extremly precisly by machines. The arms have two functions: 1. main leverage and 2. maybe the tiny front-side or bearings, which is a second leverage while flipping.

But i would not investigate further in this kind of wheel. Maybe it ran in the simulation, because of simplificated numbers (rounding of the internal math-processor) in WorkingModel.

Regards,

Johannes

SeanTheLight

Yes that was the original design that I had started from. I do not believe that the design could work unless there is something to regulate the motion of the flippers. That is what led to my design.

Actually, I had been trying to get a lever to swing along the inner surface of the diameter of a wheel, and decided using the external surface was much easier. As I pondered this, I saw that video, and had a eureka moment.

So it looks like my next update on this project should be real life replication, unless I gain access to better physics software.    ;)