Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Toroidal Motor

Started by gravityblock, February 17, 2009, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broli

There's a method to have the torque rely on the outer/inner diameter of the toroid only by magnetically shielding the outer/inner diameter windings. This can or cannot be worth it.

Advantage: The OD (inner diameter) and ID (inner diameter) can be close to each other. Because torque only depends on ID (or OD if ID was shielded) with this method. This means you can spare on a lot of wire for the same torque. This also renders the motor lighter.

Potential disadvantage: The cost of mumetal magnetic shielding sheet or w/e type you use might be more expensive than copper wire  So it might not be worth it in the end;

The below drawing shows this more in detail. As you can see the inner winding can now be much closer to the outer one because it's shielded. Also instead of windings toroids one might probably find it much easier to just wind loops of many turns and attach them to the stator like that. In the case of shielding this is the best option. As winding it on a toroidal shape and putting the shielding on every piece of wire that's going on the inside can be very painstaking.

Low-Q

Maybe it's easier to make the inner part of the winding more attractive, rather than making the outer part less attractive? If you maybe tried to make the inner part of the winding made of iron, and let the outer part still be pure copper? Then the magnetic fields would be more focused on the inner part than the outer part?
Making them should be easier as you can make these windings by soldering tinned ironwire with copper wire by first make a whole bunch of "C" shaped wires of both copper and tinned iron and solder them together as windings?

Vidar

broli

That's also a solution but it's a lots of work too. You have to remember that one loop in the rendition consist maybe of 100 wire loops. Think of lazyman's solutions  ;D. The idea I proposed just let's you wind as many windings as you need and then just wrap something highly magnetic permeable around it.

And low-q this is the kind of attitude I need. People giving constructive advice to each other to better the main concept.

Also last nigh I made a very important realization. I now am 200% certain this will work.

Low-Q

I think the good attitude is important, but also that one can question an idea without someone believing that person having a bad attitude and being attacked - at least that is what I have felt lately anyway ;). I have never meant to be rude, or bad to anyone. 

Anyway, I really hope you're right about your idea (200% certain is quite ambitious, so I hope you'll survive a possible fall - meant as a joke :)), and that the conservation of magnetic fields will benifit, and not counterwork everything we try to do. You know, iron wrap around the winding will probably not do any difference as the magnetic field, as it is denser in the iron, it also moves more slow through the wire. I mean that there isn't more fluxlines that is crossing the windings at a given time. Just a critical thought that might be in the way. I think however it is best to build it and see for real if it works.

I have A LOT of neomagnets and ringmagnets, and several kilometers of insulated copperwire, litzwire and so on - some steelwire too (Musicwire). I will contact my loudspeaker supplier for the biggest ringmagnets they have, and some smaller one to easily fit inside those big ones. If you could make a "final" drawing on how you want to build your prototype, I probably can do it too. I have tools to make simple prototypes, so I am quite limited regarding the complexity.

Vidar

broli

The setup mainly depends on how uniform the field is. The more uniform the less forces you get in the direction you don't want, this is why shielding can be useful to shield the parts that don't need the field. One should also be very generous on the windings. I'm currently waiting on these neo mags I ordered...

http://www.emovendo.net/magnet/2-x-18-x-14-rings.html

The setup I currently have is kind of a joke. It uses k'nex as the construction  ;D. I don't know if the forces will be enough to spin the magnets but they should be enough to spin the conductors. But as stated the main idea is to only spin the magnets but I don't have much choice currently. I'm also kind of limited on the power side. I don't have any dc power supplies or fancy stuff like that.

I'll try and take a picture of the construction I currently have. Currently speaker magnets are on it. The are heavy and weak so a very bad thing to demonstrate. The one coil of wire barely moves when I apply some D type batteries in series to it. You can see it moving slightly in the direction of movement but the force is probably to weak to overcome friction so it just stays still.