Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Magnetic attraction vs steel laminating direction

Started by Low-Q, February 06, 2011, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low-Q

I have a dumb question, but better to ask than not finding the answer at all...

Anyways, does anyone know if there is a difference in magnetic attraction between a magnet and a laminated steel bar, depending on the lamitate alignment?

Bad example below, but I hope you understand.

|||| [magnet]

versus:
___
=== [magnet]

The direction of lamination are shown s above. Will the magnet be less/different attracted in the first vs. last example above?

Vidar

broli

I think there would be a small difference that depends on lamination spacing. The larger the spacing the more attractive the vertical version would be I'd say.

Low-Q

Quote from: broli on February 07, 2011, 04:45:03 AM
I think there would be a small difference that depends on lamination spacing. The larger the spacing the more attractive the vertical version would be I'd say.
Let's say that such a laminated steel bar are approaching a disc magnet in the most attractive alignment. Then, right under the disc magnets S or N pole, we twist the bar 90 degrees, and let it escape in the same direction, but with less attraction... I should know the "real" outcome, but it is an idea - at least :)

Vidar

exnihiloest

Quote from: Low-Q on February 06, 2011, 05:33:16 AM
Anyways, does anyone know if there is a difference in magnetic attraction between a magnet and a laminated steel bar, depending on the lamitate alignment?

There is not. The magnetic domains are of much tinier dimensions than the lamination thickness, so they are not dependent on the lamination alignment. The only role of the lamination is to avoid induced currents, with no consequences onto the magnetic flux.

Low-Q

Quote from: exnihiloest on February 08, 2011, 04:38:03 AM
There is not. The magnetic domains are of much tinier dimensions than the lamination thickness, so they are not dependent on the lamination alignment. The only role of the lamination is to avoid induced currents, with no consequences onto the magnetic flux.
Thanks for the infomation. I also tried this on a laminated steel core in the inductors we sell for DIY speakers. You're totally right.

Vidar