Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

New Type of Gas-Electric Hybrid Car???

Started by crash_uni8, October 15, 2007, 04:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash_uni8

so heres my idea.

we take a 40-50hp gas effiecient engine and hook up maybe 6 or more (30 volt)alternators to the engine and then you hook them up in series to an AC electric motor that is connected to the tranmission of the car.(note the 40-50hp motor is not hooked up to the transmission)

would this be enough to power  a 1200 pound Car? :-\

ResinRat2

I remember something similar to this idea that was posted way back when I was a freshman in college and was working a part time job in the nuclear lab at Atlantic Richfield.(1984 or thereabouts). Only back then they were talking about using only a 5 hp lawnmower engine to power a generator that would charge a bank of batteries in an electric car. So you would have the 5 hp gas engine going at a constant ideal speed and you would drive using the electric motor at whatever speed you desired.

I think it was published in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics or maybe Discover Magazine. Don't remember which. Touted as a "hybrid vehicle". Gas was a great deal cheaper back then, LOL!!!  That's probably why it died.

Thought it was a great idea back then, but never saw it materialize.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.

I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

hansvonlieven

G'day Dave and all,

I remember these designs, there were a spate of them all around the same central idea.

The main problem with this type of arrangement, if I remember correctly, was the enormous weight such a car had to carry around using the standard lead-acid batteries of the time. In order to get any range and performance at all you had to have quite a few of them, which then required a larger motor which then required a bigger generator, which then required more batteries........ ad infinitum. It never really worked with anything bigger than a golf cart.

Today with advances in battery technology and improved efficiency of internal combustion engines it may well be worth having a second look at this.

Hans von Lieven
When all is said and done, more is said than done.     Groucho Marx

crash_uni8

I was kinda thinking that this type of design wouldn't need any batteries. So the alternators feed directly to the Electric motor.(assuming their would be some kind of potentiometer to lower or increase voltage in between them.)

hansvonlieven

G'day crash,

If you do that you lose the advantage of the design. By having the generator operate at a constant speed and torque you can optimise fuel consumption. Acceleration and deceleration costs disproportionately more fuel. That is the whole idea. Also during periods when the vehicle is at a standstill the generator can still provide an energy reserve to the batteries. This means a smaller generator than would otherwise be required.

Hans von Lieven
When all is said and done, more is said than done.     Groucho Marx