Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Why do CFL's go bad?

Started by jadaro2600, March 02, 2009, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadaro2600

Why do CFL's go bad? ...what makes a Florescent tube go bad?

edit:
Other than dropping them! Dammit.

jadaro2600

I just took one of these CFL's apart after it had burned out, and if I hadn't dropped it would I have been able to use the bulb for my experiements?

Other than this, there's quite a bit of circuitry involved under these housings; after dissassembling the houseing, the whole inside of this thing bas charred black.  Something literally burned up in it.  Are these things really safe at all?

I mean, the thing died in such a way that the two leads from the AC source are melted completely through!  They seem to have touched some part of the circuit near a diode...or something that melted to death.

Wow, these little things are a treasure trove of parts!

jadaro2600

I seem to be the only one posting on this thread, I decided not to repost an old idea, but bump this one.

My friend described to me, something that I found disturbing:  He said that his lamp fell over, it had a CFL in it at the time.  He said that it broke, twist bulb and all, and that it remained lit .. as if to say, it continued to arc even though the bulb had shattered.  He went on to say that he had to unplug it from the wall to get it to stop.

Is this even possible?  Am I not hearing about the horrors of these types of devices?

the_big_m_in_ok

Quote from: jadaro2600 on December 06, 2009, 11:19:21 PM
...Is this even possible?  Am I not hearing about the horrors of these types of devices?
Well, I can give you another 'horror'.  CFL's are a source of mercury, I've been told.  Breaking one is the worst thing you can do.

Also, be careful.  High voltage(usually 1,000-2,000 VAC) is required to initially light the bulb, but ballast circuits are designed to lower the maintenance voltage to avoid wasting power after the bulb is lit.

--Lee
"Truth comes from wisdom and wisdom comes from experience."
--Valdemar Valerian from the Matrix book series

I'm merely a theoretical electronics engineer/technician for now, since I have no extra money for experimentation, but I was a professional electronics/computer technician in the past.
As a result, I have a lot of ideas, but no hard test results to back them up---for now.  That could change if I get a job locally in the Bay Area of California.

kooler

hey,
i have never had a GE cfl to go bad so far...
but the other i have noticed.. that the transistor goes or the inductor...
but alot of the sylvania bulbs .. filament or gas get weak

hope this helps