Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Mutual respect, prejudice, safety, and personal responsibility

Started by MileHigh, February 13, 2015, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarkeizen

Quote from: Jimboot on February 17, 2015, 08:54:29 PM
Please explain to me the difference then.

You are being so pretentious
You are being such a shill
This has been explained a few times.  Saying someone is "a shill" is, in English a PERSON who is promoting something because they are paid or as if they are paid. Hence it is virtually always about a person - the notable exception is when it is being used as a verb.  Which is not the case in your example or in most of the uses I've seen here.  So it is difficult to create a phrase where it is not an attack on a person.  Whereas "pretentious" isn't a person.  An advertisement can be pretentious an advertisement can not be a shill (An advertisement can be said "to shill" or perhaps it can be "shilling").  A PERSON can be a shill who manifests this by advertising something.  Similarly "playing dumb" isn't a person.  It's an action performed by a person.

Hence it's pretty obvious why someone would like to differentiate between some terms which are almost necessarily personal attacks and  terms which are not necessarily personal attacks.  Your desire not to see this is interesting.

Jimboot

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 18, 2015, 12:40:14 AM
This has been explained a few times.  Saying someone is "a shill" is, in English a PERSON who is promoting something because they are paid or as if they are paid. Hence it is virtually always about a person - the notable exception is when it is being used as a verb.  Which is not the case in your example or in most of the uses I've seen here.  So it is difficult to create a phrase where it is not an attack on a person.  Whereas "pretentious" isn't a person.  An advertisement can be pretentious an advertisement can not be a shill (An advertisement can be said "to shill" or perhaps it can be "shilling").  A PERSON can be a shill who manifests this by advertising something.  Similarly "playing dumb" isn't a person.  It's an action performed by a person.

Hence it's pretty obvious why someone would like to differentiate between some terms which are almost necessarily personal attacks and  terms which are not necessarily personal attacks.  Your desire not to see this is interesting.

Yeah I don't think English is your first language. No offence.

Qwert

Quote from: Jimboot on February 18, 2015, 12:50:14 AM

Yeah I don't think English is your first language. No offence.

Believe it or not, most of those whose English is their first language, they can't express themselves WRITING in English (more or less, they are unable to do so and reasons of that are numerous).
My English IS NOT my first one and I am aware that I make errors in that (my original) one. And I can't help for that.

sarkeizen

Quote from: Jimboot on February 18, 2015, 12:50:14 AM
Yeah I don't think English is your first language.
Actually it is.

Not only that but don't you think it's interesting that I can be pretty specific about what and where you are incorrect and you only seem able to ignore and make broad generalizations.

A personal attack, is pretty universally meant to be an attack on the person not as a description of something they are doing or saying.

Jimboot

Quote from: sarkeizen on February 18, 2015, 07:03:22 AM
Actually it is.

Not only that but don't you think it's interesting that I can be pretty specific about what and where you are incorrect and you only seem able to ignore and make broad generalizations.

A personal attack, is pretty universally meant to be an attack on the person not as a description of something they are doing or saying.
Well you're deliberately ignoring context then and no I don't find it interesting. My original argument was simple. Treat people how you want to be treated, especially in a thread where you're asking people to be nice probably a good idea to call people names. pretty simple age old concept.