Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

no infinity

Started by vondesastre, August 14, 2007, 08:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no infinity

bad math
new math

Neolystic

Quote from: timmy1729 on December 02, 2008, 10:57:45 AM
Did you know there is more than one infinity and that some are larger than others?

I must have slept thru class that day lol...but then, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how all points on a circle are equidistant fom all other points on the same circle   :-\

WilbyInebriated

Quote from: timmy1729 on December 02, 2008, 10:57:45 AM
Hello all!
I am really only trying to help here, so please do not take this as me being a jerk.

I’m a mathematics major in school(just a few more classes, woohoo!) and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with our number system. Did you know there is more than one infinity and that some are larger than others? Sure, we use different symbols for different infinities that aren’t 0123456789. There are an infinite number of infinities between 0 and 1. Trust me, finite minds can understand infinities. Sure, it’s a horrible mindf**k at first, but we eventually do. If you want to understand infinities, study the work of Georg Cantor. Study some Real Analysis, Set Theory and Number Theory too. If you can understand a basic derivative in Calculus 1, you understand infinity using our number system.

As for Pi, it is not an integer. It is an irrational real number. Its decimal representation is infinite. It is a simple ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.

Don’t get too philosophical with this stuff guys. It really isn’t anything to philosophize about.

sure, nearly infinite, truly infinite, infinitely infinite. the indian mathematicians knew this long before your schools started teaching 'math majors'...
infinity simply makes one bullet proof, ie: any number can be divided, so if i stand at X distance from you and shoot a bullet (arrow) at your face, that distance X can be continually divided by two (as the bullet approaches you) till infinity and the bullet (arrow) never hits you, this is an ancient idea as well... so you wanna take a bullet (arrow) for your math?   ::)
numbers were invented for kings and high priests to count their money, nothing more. adapt it to what ever you wish, philosophize even, it is what it is.
There is no news. There's the truth of the signal. What I see. And, there's the puppet theater...
the Parliament jesters foist on the somnambulant public.  - Mr. Universe

timmy1729

Quote from: WilbyInebriated on December 02, 2008, 11:58:03 AM
sure, nearly infinite, truly infinite, infinitely infinite. the indian mathematicians knew this long before your schools started teaching 'math majors'...
infinity simply makes one bullet proof, ie: any number can be divided, so if i stand at X distance from you and shoot a bullet (arrow) at your face, that distance X can be continually divided by two (as the bullet approaches you) till infinity and the bullet (arrow) never hits you, this is an ancient idea as well... so you wanna take a bullet for your math?   ::)
numbers were invented for kings and high priests to count their money, nothing more. adapt it to what ever you wish, it is what it is.

That bullet proof argument is old philosophy and utter nonsense. Yes, the distance can be divided infinitely and the bullet will have to travel each minute distance, but it does travel those distances. And the types of infinities I meant were countably infinite(such as Aleph-null) and uncountably infinite(such as Real numbers).

Without that "math" and those "numbers", you wouldn't have that computer to type on, the power to run it, or pretty much everything you interact with on a daily basis.

All I was trying to do was correct a mistake that I saw looking around the forums. I am a math major who is almost done and I'm 29 years old. I know what I'm talking about. You can either take my advice or leave it. But you all are making a mountain out of an ant hill with a misunderstanding of the ant hill.

timmy1729

Quote from: Neolystic on December 02, 2008, 11:30:05 AM
I must have slept thru class that day lol...but then, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how all points on a circle are equidistant fom all other points on the same circle   :-\

How about that the infinite set of irrational numbers is LARGER than the infinite set of rational numbers? That'll get the ol' mind-motor running.

WilbyInebriated

Quote from: timmy1729 on December 02, 2008, 12:49:23 PM
That bullet proof argument is old philosophy and utter nonsense. Yes, the distance can be divided infinitely and the bullet will have to travel each minute distance, but it does travel those distances. And the types of infinities I meant were countably infinite(such as Aleph-null) and uncountably infinite(such as Real numbers).
so the quantum zeno effect is nonsense then? archimedes and aristotle are nonsense then as well? the only nonsense i see here is your delusions of grandeur about math majors...
mathematics still hasn't resolved how i ever get from a to b if there are an infinite amount of 'places' between... go ahead and try, bigger men than you have failed. if you meant aleph null, THEN SPECIFY ALEPH NULL.
"communicating badly and then acting smug when misunderstood is not cleverness" -randall munroe

Without that "math" and those "numbers", you wouldn't have that computer to type on, the power to run it, or pretty much everything you interact with on a daily basis.
irrelevant

All I was trying to do was correct a mistake that I saw looking around the forums. I am a math major who is almost done and I'm 29 years old. I know what I'm talking about. You can either take my advice or leave it. But you all are making a mountain out of an ant hill with a misunderstanding of the ant hill.
also irrelevant.
my, aren't you pretentious. honestly, i don't really care what you did on who. i took calc and trig in 10th and 11th grade and more in college 20 odd years ago, big whoop. i can do math as well as you. you paid someone to teach you math and now you assume yourself an authority? i guess you would have to wouldn't you? have to make such an assumption to rationalize paying someone to teach you math  ;)
i think i'll leave it until you can explain to my satisfaction how i ever get from a to b if there are an infinite amount of 'places' between. i'm not making anything but an observation that you can't reconcile...
There is no news. There's the truth of the signal. What I see. And, there's the puppet theater...
the Parliament jesters foist on the somnambulant public.  - Mr. Universe