Overunity.com Archives is Temporarily on Read Mode Only!

Free Energy will change the World - Free Energy will stop Climate Change - Free Energy will give us hope
and we will not surrender until free energy will be enabled all over the world, to power planes, cars, ships and trains.
Free energy will help the poor to become independent of needing expensive fuels.
So all in all Free energy will bring far more peace to the world than any other invention has already brought to the world.
Those beautiful words were written by Stefan Hartmann/Owner/Admin at overunity.com
Unfortunately now, Stefan Hartmann is very ill and He needs our help
Stefan wanted that I have all these massive data to get it back online
even being as ill as Stefan is, he transferred all databases and folders
that without his help, this Forum Archives would have never been published here
so, please, as the Webmaster and Creator of this Forum, I am asking that you help him
by making a donation on the Paypal Button above
Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Pulse charging capacitors

Started by turniton, January 07, 2009, 12:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turniton

would fast dc pulses (inductive collapse from a coil) charge a capacitor faster or slower then a capacitor charged normally. the reasoning being; it appears to have less resistance when charged in pulses.

the electrostatic charge in pulses would give the dielectric material in a capacitor more time to react and thus create less resistance to in-cumming surges, basically no charge pile ups -less capacitive reactance/reluctances

your opinions please!
Thanks!

TinselKoala

If you look at my YT channel you can find a video of me pulse-charging a cap bank with sparks and corona discharges from a small Van De Graaff machine. And you can see what happens when I discharge the stored energy.

When pulse-charging a cap from a squarewave pulse or an inductive collapse, the cap sees spikes of very high voltage that you don't see on meters or "less-expensive" oscilloscopes. There's a LOT of energy in these spikes (E=(CVV)/2) and the caps love it--if they have the right dielectric. You can easily explode cheap electrolytics, even if you think you are within their voltage range, by pulse charging with spiky voltages.
But the various titanate compounds like in RF doorknobs can take it.

I think actually the pulse charging gives the dielectric less time to react, not more.

jadaro2600

Might pulse charging a capacitor lead to dielectric breakdown?  ..in theory it would be like spiking the materials; seeing as how a pulse might cause the same effects as say ...rather than driving a load across a bridge, dropping a load onto the bridge would have a more negative effect even though it's the same weight.

Perhaps using a capacitor intended for AC, but in a DC pulse situation - you could avoid the likelihood of the capacitor failing.

Capacitors seem like a effective way to send a regulated amount of charge through something. ...maybe using one cap to charge another and a timer circuit.   That makes little sense though ...you'de have to slowly charge a cap anyway.

turniton

Hi, TinselKoala

Where is your yt channel located? Link please, did not know what that was… thanks.

This is basically where I’m heading… sharp high voltage square wave pulses from inductive collapse. Lots of energy, and the cap converts it to current for use, the caps DO like it a lot, hence my question. I have a bunch of hv caps (ceramics for now) at low value that are paralleled to reduce the esr on discharge. Still playing with different dielectrics.

Thanks!

jadaro2600